Coconut Cakes with Pineapple Plus Mint Syrup
150g soft butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup self-raising flour
1/4 cup desiccated coconut
1/4 cup light coconut milk
3/4 cup water
1/3 cup caster sugar
3 sprigs mint
300g Naturally Sweet Pineapple, skin removed, finely diced
1 tbs shredded mint leaves
Preparation 5 minutes. Cook 25 minutes. Makes 6
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a 6-hole muffin tray with a little of the butter.
2. Beat remaining butter and sugar together using electric beaters for 5 minutes or until creamy and pale.
Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Lightly fold in flour
and coconut until just combined.
Gently stir in coconut milk.
3. Divide mixture between muffin holes and bake for 20-25 minutes or until S golden and cooked through. Allow to cool in the tray for 5 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, to prepare the mint syrup. Place water, sugar and mint sprigs in a
small saucepan. Stir over medium heat until sugar has dissolved.
Simmer for 5-8 minutes or until the syrup has thickened slightly. Remove mint sprigs, stir in diced pineapple pieces and shredded mint.
Set aside to cool.
5. To serve, turn coconut cakes out onto serving plates. Spoon the mint
syrup over. Serve.
Food for thought
Did you know? Once picked, pineapples don’t ripen further. instead, when harvested, pineapples become juicier, but not sweeter.
Did you know that a pineapple plant can fruit for up to 50 years?
Coconut Recipes Books